The seeds of the black cumin plant contain over 100 chemical compounds, including some yet to be identified. In addition to what is believed to be the primary active ingredient, crystalline nigellone, black cumin seeds contain: thymoquinone, beta sitosterol, myristic acid, palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, arachidonic acid, protein, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, folic acid, calcium, iron, copper, zinc, and phosphorous.
Physicians to the Egyptian pharaohs frequently used the seeds after extravagant feasts to calm upset stomachs. They also used the seeds to treat headaches, toothaches, colds, and infections. Queen Nefertiti, renowned for her stunning beauty, used black seed oil, likely due to its abilities to strengthen and bring luster to hair and nails.
Following summarizes some of black seeds practical uses:
- It is Emmenagogue, Lactogogue and Diuretic.
- It is an Anti-Helminthic, if taken with vinegar.
- It is useful in chronic cold. Inhalation of its smell is useful in common cold.
- The oil of Kalonji is effective in Alopecia.
- Half teaspoonful, if boiled in water and taken, is helpful in Asthma and diffuses the toxic effects of Bee and Wasps.
- Continuous use of kalonji is effective in mad dog bites.
- Fumigation of kalonji is useful in Respiratory Diseases.
- It is useful in Paralysis, Facial Palsy, Migraine, Amnesia and Palpitation .
- It is also an Expectorant and Antipyretic.
- It normalizes the secretions of stomach and pancreas.
- This phenomenon is very much effective and significant in the treatment of Diabetes Mellitus.
- It expels the Kidney and Urinary Bladder stones, if taken with the syrup of honey.
- It is effective in Jaundice if taken with milk.
- Its powder if taken with water is effective in treating Haemorrhoids.
- If Kalonji seeds are boiled in vinegar and this solution is applied on Gums and Teeth, it removes the Inflammation of the gums and relieves the pain also.
- It is also reported that its fine powder is effective if applied in early stages of Cataract.
- Kalonji is also used in Skin disorders.
- The oil of the seeds is also effective in Earache.
- If it is taken with Qust Sheering after breakfast and dinner, it is effective in chronic Dysentery and Asthma.
- Qust Sheering is a good medicine for sexual debility, but if it is taken with Kalonji seeds and Habburrashad, it becomes more fortified.
- Modern trials have proven that Kalonji seeds alone or in combination with other drugs are highly effective in Diabetes Mellitus, Vitiligo and other Skin ailments.